Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Activity Track heat counting incorrectly

John Bowling

Activity Track heat is counting incorrectly between different installs. In a client's version, VentSim is double-counting heat input via Activity Tracks. I think this may be because utilization factors are not being applied.

In attached examples, my (assumed correct) screenshots are _A and client's (assumed wrong) are _B. Heat addition with Activity Tracks is still a bit opaque (I wish it'd show up in some of the Heat > New Heat airway data views) and that doesn't help troubleshoot. Both results are based on the same file.

I've provided screenshots of:

About - demonstrating same version in use in both cases.

Activity Track Editor - demonstrating same Activity Track and settings in use in both cases.

Presets > Heat Moisture Diesel - demonstrating same preset input for diesel equipment.

Network Summary > Activity Track - demonstrating different heat results (B roughly double A).

Network Summary > Heat - demonstrating different heat results (B roughly double A).

The client is running v5.4.4.0 64 bit on a (Quebec) French Windows OS. My version is on running on (American) English Win10. We are running the same file in the same version.

About_A.PNG

About_B.png

Activity_Track_Editor_A.png

Activity_Track_Editor_B.png

Network_Summary_ActivityTrack_A.png

Network_Summary_ActivityTrack_B.png

Network_Summary_heat_A.png

Network_Summary_heat_B.png

Presets_Heat_A.png

Presets_Heat_B.png

Hi John, 

Very strange. Is there a chance that the file was saved in a version earlier than 5.4.3.3 after you sent it? If the file was opened and saved in a version earlier than 5.4.3.3, then opened again in version 5.4.4.0, then the Utilization Factors would all reset to 1 and that would explain what you've shown. In this way the Utilization Factors are not backwards compatible, we might have to do something about that. 

However, you say they are the same file and indeed I can see the Utilization Factors are the same in the last 2 images. So it's difficult to see how the results would be different. So I would get you to verify that the files are indeed the same (and the images shown above are from the same file) and have at no point been saved in an earlier version.

Otherwise, if possible, I'd ask that you send us the file for debugging, which we would treat confidentially, but understand if this is not possible. 

If the problem continues, I would suggest you both upgrade to version 5.4.4.3 here: https://ventsim.com/download/minor-releases/ , or both reinstall version 5.4.4.0 from here: https://ventsim.com/download/currentdownloads/ . Then please let me know how it goes. 

Hi Martin,

The client reports he got it to work, so I guess problem solved? I suspect he'd done exactly as you mentioned - opening a model in an older version - but it's probably not worth troubleshooting now.

I'll report back if I get more info or continue to experience issues.

I'll also suggest elsewhere better visibility of Activity Track added heat in the model.

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...