Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

(Non-issue) Environment rock parameter settings: Diffusivity not manually changeable

Fred_K

Hello!

Novice user here, still figuring out VentSim. I was playing around with the settings and found this.

In the rock parameter settings in the Simulation --> Environment section.

For the density, it says "optional if diffusivity set". That I would inerpret as being able to set the diffusivity to a custom value.

If I want to change the value for diffusivity, it won't let me - the value will revert back to its original, calculated from density, specific heat and conductivity. These other parameters I can change, no problem.

Am I missing something here, is it supposed to be like this? It's not really an issue because the lab would provide all parameters anyway, but it appears that density is not "optional" at all?

This was tested on VentSim Design Premium 5.4.4.8 64bit and on Ventsim Lite 5.2.8.5 64bit.

Have a great day!

Frédéric

Hi Frédéric, 

Thanks for your message! Investigating this, the diffusivity is a function of the rock density, specific heat and thermal conductivity and is indeed read-only. I think the "Optional" comment on the density is a relic of an earlier version of Ventsim where you could specify the diffusivity. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will clean up the descriptions in the next version of Ventsim to make it clearer. 

I'll post here again when the version is out. Have a great day as well.