Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Fan Selection (New Features - VentSim 5.0)

John Armstrong

New feature called "Fan Select” helps create fan curves for use in Ventsim models.

Howden has previously offered subscribers access to ‘Howden Fan Select’, an online web-based tool that assists users in selecting the correct fan for specific applications. 

VentSim DESIGN Version 5 will tap into this resource automatically and introduce a new feature that will search the online database for suitable fans to use and recommend up to ten (10) different models of fans. The user can then simply select the fan from the recommendations, and the fan details and operating curve are automatically imported into VentSim DESIGN for immediate use and modelling. The process ensures accuracy and reduces the time taken to model each fan from countless minutes to mere seconds.

1533545198_FanSelection1.png.59a45f4733fad090024a06b9f943d1ba.png
Figure 1 – Searching for Fan matching specification

632642253_FanSelection2.png.5eff67760dd1d7566f39d8c08b950a5a.png
Figure 2 – Results return from search the internet server

1761537127_FanSelection3.thumb.png.1662a9834661080c9f886d9d8ef29a50.png

Figure 3 – Viewing the manufacturers information

2146669695_FanSelection4.png.8a933599f7b51c14527791dda662de34.png

Figure 4– Newly added Fan curve in fan database

595609986_FanSelection5.thumb.png.da47f79186f65233c926ebc05faa3525.png
Figure 5– Accessing the tool from VentSim Design 5.0

The process of selecting axial fans involves many factors which Howden’s online selection software captures. Key factors include the fan operating speed, flow rates, pressure requirements along with the density of the gas being transported through the fan.

VentSim DESIGN captures these key factors to send to Howden’s online selection software. This aids in accurately selecting axial fans with the most efficient design, balancing operating energy costs versus capital equipment costs.

Of course, modelling and simulation is only the first part of the fan design process. Once fans are modelled and working correctly in the simulation, VentSim DESIGN users should then discuss the detailed requirements with the fan supplier to ensure all operating and installation conditions have been considered and the fan will perform as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

John...

Very nice... I have tested this on the coal mine demo. Seems to work very well. I was able to select a fan and pull up technical specifications of the fan. I really enjoy the fact that this is very easy to use and at the very least provides a very helpful guide as to what kind of fan is suitable to the model.

However, I think its important for users to understand that this isn't necessarily a silver bullet to your fan selection problem. The challenge would be to take into account the shock losses that would occur in the fan drift itself. Recent experience has shown me the benefit of modelling the entire fan drift, bends and diffusers that are likely to be installed. I find by applying the "Auto Mid" Shock X factor I get very close to what the fan engineers have determined the losses to be. Of course this will vary according to the specific design. Where you do not have this level of detail perhaps an approximate 200Pa could be taken into account (my estimate).

So yes, select the fan using the tool is perfect for pre-feasibility studies. During the feasibility study, model that same fan with the entire fan duct structure.

Thanks for the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

John...

Following on from the previous post, please take a look at the attached picture of a fan drift and evaseé I constructed for a recent project. As you can see it is possible to fully model the entire fan drift. As discussed previously, in this case, I made use of a Shock X factor of "Auto Mid". I was able to replicate the manufacturer's claimed pressure losses to within a few Pascal's.

The lesson learnt in this exercise is that the fan drift and related equipment can make a big difference when it comes to future fan performance.

I was wondering if you guys could give some thought to building into your "fan selection tool" a standard drift for each fan something like I have shown below? We could then download it as a separate Ventsim file and copy and paste it where required into our model? Of course you could opt for a built-in resistance before and after the fan which would probably be easier but it would be great to actually get the whole fan drift.

Regards

Image.jpg

Archived