Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Caving Blast Simulation

Martin Griffith

In Ventsim DESIGN version 5.4, we are developing a tool to simulate the air blast result from caving events. The tool will model the peak air velocities experienced through out the mine resulting from a caving event. 

Currently, the caving model operates as a simple piston, pressurising the air in the void and then modelling the resulting air velocities throughout the mine. The existing resistances of the mine model are used, as well as a muckpile resistance which is added to any cave connection situated lower than the muckpile height. More complex models of the caving dynamics will be incorporated into the model with user feedback, but for now we have the basic setup for the simulation. 

In the test model pictured here, I have specified the three close airways here as Caving Blast Connections, and have also placed dynamic monitors.

image.thumb.png.3a45d01eb2ec88776aacc39449fa784f.png

I then launch the Caving Air Blast Simulation from the dropdown menu beneath the Fire Simulation button. This brings up a window to specify the size of the cave, the Cave Diameter, the highest and lowest point in the cave and the MuckPile height. 

image.png.4301cb45043a71576d75892ca2ee4395.png

The Highest and Lowest Point reference the true coordinates of the model. The Highest Point has a minimum value equal to the highest caving blast connections, while the Lowest Point has a maximum value equal to the lowest caving blast connection. The Muckpile Height is the height of the muckpile above the lowest point.

Click OK and the simulation will launch.

image.thumb.png.15a0e300d84288a909f5635f5fda6fe5.png

The air in the cave will be compressed and vent through the connections and the model. Any connection between the lowest point and the muckpile height will have an additional resistance based on the air pushing through the muckpile. The resulting airflows can be seen by opening the dynamic monitors. Any seals which have the Strength rating exceeded should fail.

image.thumb.png.2418458a1045d17caa48c18bf1ea3f2e.png

If you are interested in using the tool and its further development , or have any questions, please let us know. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Martin,

What is the value of muckpile resistance that you used? And where did you get this value from? I posted a message in the forum about simulating cave materials in block and sublevel caving mines so I'm interested to know the value of muckpile resistance that you used in this simulation.

• 8 months later...

There has been a fair bit of work on the Caving Air Blast simulation since the last update given here. Now hte form has more options and output. 

You can play with the simulation timestep (which might be important if you're dealing with a collapsing stope or a sub-level caving event) and you can choose whether you want seals to fail during your simulation, or just to give warnings. 

Additionally, there is now a graph showing the variation over time of the cave pressure and the air velocity in each cave connections. 

Let us know of any experience or feedback you have for the tool. 

image.png.c0fc53b4a8e61d68812b978778b0addb.png