Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Hello, I am new here und try to solve a tunnel ventilation problem by using staging, that means
I would like to let the tunnel grow in several expansion stages and control volume flows in ducts
and the tunnel as well as increasing temperature due to several heat sources.

Example : I have three stages, the first stage is containing the two sections A1, A2, the second stage is
containing the four sections A1, A2; A3, A4, while the third stage contains all sections A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6.

In the manual I found a hint that I should look for "staging" in the tool menue, but there is no subitem "staging".
When I press the "Manage"-button under "Stage" (first row of the menue bar), I get a so-called
"stage list". My question : I would like to automatically calculate and visualize the three stages.
How can I organize this with the stage list? Is there anyone who can help me?

Hi Volker, 

Thanks for your message. 

I think the Manual entry is out of date, Stages no longer lives in the Tools menu, it has it's menu where you found it, under Stage.

There are a number of different ways to handle Stages, so you should have a play with it first to find out what works for you. I recommend saving your model in a separate file before you start working with Stages. It's easy to make errors when you're starting out with Stages so it's a good idea to have your original unstaged model to check against or go back to. 

In the Stage List form that you found you can name your Stages. You can have up to 24. Once you give a Stage a name in the Stage List, that Stage will appear in the Stage dropdown on the main Ventsim form here: 

image.png.10fc5739c00140b6c1330de5d5e71b66.png

An example of Stages can be found in the Metal Mine demonstration model.

Once your Stages are defined you can start assigned or removing airways from each stage. 

It sounds like you already have sections A1-A6 in your model. What you can do then is open Stage | Rename and give your current stage a name. Call it "Stage 3". Then Create a Shared Copy in Stage | Add Shared Copy and call the new stage "Stage 2". Now when you are in Stage 2, lock the stage with the padlock button next to the Stage dropdown. This will lock the stage which means that any change you make to the model will be limited to that stage. With the Stage Lock on on Stage 2, delete sections A5 and A6 and then unlock the stage. Now switching between the 2 stages you'll see that Stage 2 has sections A1-A4 and Stage 3 has all the sections. 

Repeat the process from Stage 2 to create Stage 1.

What you have done is create your 3 stages. Any airways that are common to each stage are shared. So if you make any change to a airway (with the Stage Lock off) that change will apply to the airway on all stages on which it exists. If you want to limit your change to the current stage, you need to lock the stage first. 

To see which stages an airway belongs to, open the Edit Box and expand the stage section, which will show a tick for every stage the airway is a part of. 

Experiment with the system and you will soon get the hang of it. There is also another tool in the Edit Box  "Apply to Specific Stage" where you can make a change to an airway (without the Stage Lock) and then decide to which Stages you want to apply the change. 

That's a basic introduction. There are some other options in the Stage List Manager, you can set different air temperatures and current years for each stage, as well as toggle whether Ventsim runs an air or heat simulation after changing stages.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 years later...