Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Waterways

Martin Griffith

New in VentSim DESIGN 5 is the Waterway feature.

Exposed waterways can have a dramatic effect on mine heat and moisture. Fissure water will generally enter the mine at close to the virgin rock temperature; exposed hot water will release a large amount of moisture and heat into the air. Even water close to the temperature of the air will release moisture into the air, effecting the working environment.

The process to add a Waterway to your mine is similar to the process for adding auxiliary ducts. To add a running waterway to your mine, first select the airways you want to add the waterway too, then open the Construct Waterway Box.

image.png.668dabac8cffaada626204f175252852.png

The Waterway form gives you several options:

image.png.63384f85fa03933efaa22b374fc3f58e.png

Water Flow Volume: the water flow volume has a number of effects. Firstly, in combination with the waterway width and depth, it is used to calculate a water velocity. This water velocity is used to estimate the roughness of “choppiness” of the water surface. A rough water surface will transfer more heat and moisture to the air than a smooth surface. This flow rate will also be used to calculate the change in water temperature along the waterway, depending on other options.

Fix flow rate: if there are branches in your waterway, Ventsim will try to calculate the flow rates in the branches. If you select this option, all flow rates will be set to the same value.

Average Width, Depth: these set the geometry of the waterway, which is visible in the viewer and is also used to calculate the water velocity.

Offset Horizontal, Vertical: these parameters determine the offset of the waterway representation from the airway. By default the waterways are placed below the airway (the opposite to the ducts)

Water Temperature Method: you need to select a method for determining the water temperature. There are 3 options

-          Set Start and End Temperature: This will set a temperature at the inlet and outlet to the waterway, and then interpolate temperatures for the middle sections of waterway, according to a standard heat transfer equation (greater heat transfer for greater differences in temperature

-          Constant Temperature: This sets a constant temperature along the whole waterway

-          Calculated Temperature: This option will calculate the change in water temperature during the heat simulation, using the amount of heat exchange with the air, the water flow rate and the heat capacity of the water.

Reverse waterway direction: the direction of the waterway will start in the same direction as the airway. Select this option will reverse the waterway direction.

Once the waterway is built it should appear in the viewer with the airways

image.png.e578b3da83780d0f51291b16199e68f6.png

In the example here, I’ve set up a waterway (in light blue) and colored the airways by temperature, showing the increase in air temperature as the air moves over the (very) hot waterway.

Please don’t hesitate to ask us about the Waterways, if you have any questions or experiences to relate.

Archived