Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Help Please - condensation problem in mine

Customer

Good afternoon,

I have come across a problem, that I have not encountered before

We have a condensation problem in a mine, where the surface temperature is warmer than the mine ambient temperature, causing considerable condensation to take place throughout the mine.

Can you tell me how to simulate this event taking place on my model please.

There are no other additives to the temperature underground, there is no adiabatic compression or geothermal gradients involved, nor are there any diesel vehicles  running in the mine.

Currently we have throttled the ventilation down by putting a de-humidifier onto the fan ducting, to try and remove the moisture from the air.

There are some options available to me if I can use my model with this problem demonstrated

Kind regards

Ventsim will automatically generate fog and condensation as part of the heat simulation.  You can view this data by selecting ‘FOG’ from the data or colour options under heat.  If you set the surface temperature to warm humid conditions, and the underground conditions (rock temperatures and wetness fraction) are set correctly, fog should automatically form.

If the fog reaches too much (>1g/m3), excess water will be removed from the air.  You will notice that if heat sources are added to the model, fog will be reduced around the heat source.  To add a dehumidifier, simply add a suitably sized refrigeration source (which will remove moisture in Ventsim) and then a sensible heat source (equivalent to around 130% of the refrigeration source) in the airway immediately downstream.

Archived