Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Vent duct increasing in flow along duct run

Customer

Hi,

Any idea what is going on here, I have placed duct, simulated and it has increased in volume half way along the run?
The green stub on the end is a sump, I accidently installed duct here and then deleted that bit, it played up after I ran the simulation.
It has done this on levels above as well I have just noticed.?

increasing along duct.png

Hi, The guys here have taken a quick look at your model.  After the reset, the fluctuations are quite small, we believe that this is due to duct leakage and compression.  The mass flow is steady and pressure is decreasing as expected.  We will discuss with Craig when he returns to the office to see if he thinks there is something that needs further investigation.

Just to confirm your concern was with the air flow in the duct was decreasing, then increasing slightly?  That is the only thing in the model that looks like you are concerned with?

Thank you all, yes this is correct. I did the same as you have done and received the same results but wasn’t happy as I believe the leakage should be greater than any effect compression has, in fact as it is going downhill if anything compression should increase the rate the volume in the bag decreases (that’s a mouthful). Anyway  I deleted the bag and redid the run which seemed to resolve the issue all together, not sure what caused it but thanks for having a look at it so quickly for me, much appreciated.

Hi  

Hope this is sorted out.  The leakage paths are built when the duct is built.  They may have been corrupted and removed at some stage which may possible if the duct is selected and moved to other layers or stages.

You can see the leakage paths by clicking the ‘W’ button to enable wireframe view.

Archived