Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Creation of no-strings based excavations

Hi everyone,

Recently I was assigned to model the ventilation circuit of a portion of an underground mine that includes a crusher. 

The crusher chamber is an irregular excavation of roughly 10m x 12m x 30m in the first phase, connected to the 2nd phase of about 13m x 10m x 12 m and connected with the 3rd phase of about 9m x 16m x 10m. The interaction of the crusher chamber with the whole ventilation circuit is given by 5 accesses, that contribute with different air quantities and flow directions.

The design process included linking frames of each particular excavation phase, that is why the chamber it is not based in strings like any other conventional excavation.

I wonder if there is any special tool in Ventsim 5.0 to create this kind of excavations and make them all be connected to get a more accurate model?

Regards,

Alejandro Roman

Chamb.png

Chamb_b.png

Hi Alejhandro

Ventsim does not have tools to convert 3D volumes to airways.  To model this space with 1-dimensional airflows you can simply draw airways in the approximate locations and size them according to the chamber size (eg 10m x 18m) so that it looks similar in size to the 3D drawing.  For more realism, you can also create custom profile shapes in the PRESET - PROFILES section to more closely match the crusher room shapes.  In most cases, this will be suitable for typical simulations of air moving through a chamber into connected airways.

To model 3D airflow through a large void requires more sophisticated methods such as CFD which is beyond the capabilities of Ventsim.  You can sometimes approximate CFD type flow within a large void by creating a mesh of connected smaller airways to create a larger volume, and then adjusting the resistance to the internal connections to a minimum.  However in most cases this is not required or recommended and will not be as accurate as CFD modelling.  The pictures below show how an interconnected mesh of airways can form a larger 2D or 3D void, however the process must be drawn manually in Ventsim.

wire1.png

solid1.png

Archived