Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Problem Importing .dm Strings and Conversion to Imperial

Hi There,

I seem to be having trouble with importing strings from Datamine files (.dm) into Ventsim 5.0 that were designed to be Imperial. Whilst I do understand that Datamine string lengths are unitless, it would appear that Ventsim 5.0 is assuming metric units at all times.

The process I follow to import is the same as I have done in the past with Ventsim 4.8; after starting a new file, I initially go into Settings menu, then to System Settings and set the Unit Type to Imperial. I then either drag or import the .dm file into the design space. However, when I apply the Convert Centreline tool, the length is 3.3 times the length that it should be.

For instance, if a design string from Datamine with length of 78 is brought into Ventsim 5.0 set to a Unit Type of Imperial, it shows a length of 256 feet. As your manual points out, “Most imported files do not have an internal specification of whether the units are Imperial or Metric. VentSim will assume the coordinates are the same as currently used in the VentSim file”. It therefore should show a length of 78 feet.

As I still have Ventsim 4.8 on my computer, I followed the exact same process. When I drag or import a Datamine design string of length 78 into Ventsim 4.8 set to a Unit Type of Imperial, it correctly shows a length of 78 feet.

Regards,

Kingsley

Hi Kingsley,

We've just released a new version 5.0.7.6 and we've made a few changes to make sure the calculation checks the imperial setting when calculating the length of the airway.

if you get a chance to try the new release, please let me know if you still having any issues...

Thanks

Hi John,

Unfortunately this is not really resolved. Referring to the first attachment below, you will see that I have imported a .dm string of length 78 into Ventsim (version 5.0.7.6) which I had previously set to Imperial units. The second attachment shows the outcome after applying the Convert Centrelines tool which would seem to show that the length is 78 feet. However, if I draw an airway connecting to the converted centreline and then reselect the airway (third attachment), you can see that it now says that the airway is 255.9 feet long.

Regards,

Kingsley

DM Import Issue - 1.JPG

DM Import Issue - 2.JPG

DM Import Issue - 3.JPG

Archived