Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Simulation Indicators

Shane Ambrosio

As a general comment, I have noted that when you select a simulation (albeit an airflow, gas or heat simulation) a small window pops up indicating that  "Simulation in Progress". Now generally this little window appears in the middle of the screen (if not previously moved to another location). The challenge is that this little window is not nodal, so if you so much as click on the main window the little window disappears behind the main window

The "Simulation is in Progress" window does not have a progress indicator. In large models, in which the simulation takes a long time, it often leaves me wondering whether or not the application has stalled. To check I often need to make use of the Task Manager just to check if there is a "Not Responding" error. Also because it is hidden behind the main window, it is possible that one could forget that a simulation is in progress (e.g. for gas) and then start another simulation.

Simulation Indicators:

• In the case of an Airflow Simulation, the status bar does not indicate that a simulation is in progress. On completion it lets you know that the simulation is complete by indicating "Air Simulation Successful" in the status bar.
  • In the case of a Heat Simulation, the status bar gives an indication that a simulation is in progress by showing the "Pass #[no] Iteration #[no]". On completion it lets you know that the simulation is complete by indicating "Heat Simulation Successful" in the status bar.
  • In the case of gas simulation, the status bar does not indicate that a simulation is in progress. On completion it lets you know that the simulation is complete by indicating "Gas Simulation Successful" in the status bar.

So to my recommendation:

• Could you please make the little "Simulation in Progress" window nodal and if this is not practicable, make it at least remain above the active window.
  • Could you please ensure that irrespective of the simulation activated, that the status bar indicates the that a simulation is in progress and also indicate current status / progress of that simulation (would love to see a 0% to 100% indicator but I suspect that is not going to be that easy).
  •  
  • Further please consider changing the status bar color while a simulation is in progress. As you use RED, YELLOW and GREEN to indicate the level of success of a simulation, perhaps a neutral color like GREY might be appropriate
  •  

Regards

Archived