Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Discharge coefficient

Hello

I have a question, I would like to know how Pumpsim calculates the output velocity of a fluid through a hole in a tank? I assume that it takes into account the discharge coefficient, since for a certain value of fluid height the speed calculated by Pumpsim is less than that obtained with the ideal formula (v=sqrt(2*g*h)).

But my question is, how do it determines the discharge coefficient for a given scenario? since for the simulation that I carried out, the value delivered by pumpsim is less than half of the ideal value obtained with the ideal equation.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your question. I'm not sure if you're talking about the flow into or out of the tank. There is an option to add or edit a tank discharge coefficient on the pipe connected to a tank. You can see the option on the pipe Edit Box. 

Perhaps you can send me a model and an idea of what you expect to see and we will work it out. You can post it here, or DM me the model, or also send to ventsim.support@howden.com .