Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

contaminant/Gas Simulation

Hello Everyone,

I hope you guys would be fine. I want to do gas simulation in ventsim 5.4. I have a few queries if you can help me with that.

1) How can I add do gas/contaminant simulation of more than one gases? That is, I want to see its spread with the addition of a fan? The concentration of contaminants are fixed. I just want to exhaust them.

2) How can I add a radioactive gas into it other than radon? Or can I change the properties of radon to fake it to any other gas

3)if I have more than one contaminants, having fixed concentration. Then how can I simulate them? Can i input them in one simulation model at a time? 

4) is it possible to use radon as well as contamination simulation option at once? If yes then how can I interpret the result then.

Hi Asan, 

See some responses below: 

1) You should be able to simulate multiple gases as part of the Gas Simulation. This is the main advantage of the Gas Simulation. Just configure your sources and run it. 

image.png.cb7702069cd011192d30d7001178b46f.png

2) There is currently no way to model radioactive gases other than radon (with the Radon Simulation). Nor are the decay characteristics customisable. Which gases do you want to simulate?

3) You can set multiple sources of different gases using the Gas Tab of the Edit Box, as shown in the image in point 1.

4) You can run the Gas Simulation and the Radon Simulation together if you want, but only in Dynamic mode, using the Multisim simulation option. There is no steady-state option. However, usually you don't need to do this. You can just run the Gas Simulation, then the Radon Simulation. This is because the concentrations of Radon and it's decay products are at very low levels of concentration. So extra Radon in the air will not have a big effect on the concentration of other gases. So you can run the Gas Simulation and then the Radon Simulation and get all your results, under the Gas and Radon property categories.