Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

How to hide sections of a model

Engineer

Hi,

There are a few ways in Ventsim to hide parts of your model, which I will run through below.

But first; if you are hiding airways in your model and you're not sure what you've made visible or invisible, or perhaps all of your model has disappeared, you can go to View | Show All, which will reset everything in your model to visible (also available in the right click menu).

Also, once you've hidden something, it will be either completely invisible or transparent. You can change the transparency of hidden airways using the slider at the top of the Display Manager (highlighted red).  

image.thumb.png.3573755446ff81f9650fbfaa8cac803d.png

• The fastest easiest option to hide parts of the model is to go to View | Hide Zero Flows, which will hide any airways with zero air flow. How useful this is will vary from mine to mine.
  •  You can also use the Clip and Clip Level tools under the View menu. Select the tool and then drag a box over the area of interest in your model. For Clip, everything outside the box will be hidden, for Clip Level, everything outside of the levels covered by the box will be hidden. These options are also available in the right-click menu.
  • On the Display Manager, each of the first 5 tabs gives a different method for hiding parts of the model.
    • The Colour tab allows you to hide airways in a model according to a property's value. In the image above (highlighted in green), I've moved the bottom scale up so that the colours shown are over a range of flow quantity of 20 m3/s to 250 m3/s. Because I have also ticked the box located at the bottom of the slider, airways outside of this range (< 20m3/s) will be hidden. 
    • On the Level tab, you can select which levels of the mine are visible. A good way to focus on just one level is to click on the black light globe, which will hide all levels. Then select just the level you want to be visible. If you have no levels set up, press the green plus button to do so. There is a level wizard there as well which can help. 
    • The Air Type, Primary Layer and Secondary Layer tabs allow you 3 separate systems to organise your model. A common method is to break up the mine into Air Types of Fresh and Exhaust air. The Primary Layer system might break the mine up into designated areas and then the Secondary Layer might break it up into smaller sections again. Ultimately, it is up to the user (and the mine) how these three systems are used. If you open the Metal Mine demonstration model in VentSim (File | Load Demonstration | Metal Mine) you'll find an example with Levels, Air Types and Secondary Layers set up.
  • If you click the blue cog on the left side of the Ventsim viewer, it will open the Visibility Manager. Here you can control the airway transparencies, as well as the visibility of the various icon types and of any text on the viewer. Finally, the Limit allows you to limit the data shown on the viewer to those airways which have the Show Data flag switched on. If you switch on the Text Limit, then to see the text for a given airway you need to open the Edit form for that airway and on the first tab, select the option for Show Data. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.

• Martin Griffith changed the title to How to hide sections of a model