Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Additional suggestions/thoughts surrounding station and record Area in Ventlog

Hi Martin et. al.,

I have a couple more thoughts regarding how Ventlog tracks the area of a given station/record and the functionality of updating these.

• Updating an area in my opinion should only update the area for unique records. Such as if you update the area for a new record, it shouldn't retroactively go back to previous records and change that area as well. The area should be tied to the record and not the station. For salt mines for instance where you have "salt creep" of the entries, airway areas will always be changing and you may only want the area to apply to specific records. 
  • It seems that previously entered record's volume calculations do not change with updated areas. Which is maybe an accidental benefit such that previous volumes aren't changing each time areas are updated. However if an old record is viewed it does show the updated area and not the original area that was entered when that record was created.
  • When updating an area (while creating a new record), why do you have to enter 3 heights and 3 widths? It seems this functionality should allow the user to determine how many of each is needed to properly define the airway being measured. Sometimes I only have one of each, or two of each or some combination of each. Average heights are for instance only calculated if and only if I type in 3 heights. If I only type in 2 heights, I have to make up a 3rd height (average the first 2) to get "correct height".  There is also not a way to just type in an overide update area without updating the original station area. This is important because sometimes one measures irregular shaped airways and averaging heights and widths is not really appropriate, such as can be the case across the face of a longwall in coal mining.  

Thanks for the help and I look forward to the new version of Ventlog later this year.

Just had a little follow up thought on this. If there was the following option located somewhere within the add record creation tool:

[checkbox] link record area to station area

[text box with cross sectional area shown] [Update Area button (link to height and width data entry tool) ]

My thought with this was if the box is checked, the text box and Update Area button are greyed out because it just pulls the area from the station (station area could be shown in greyed out text box). If the box is not checked the text box is modifiable and the update area button is clickable. The default for this could be to have the box checked.