Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Simulating a fire outside the mine

Ariexi

Hi Martin,

The Fire Simulation in Ventsim is set up for modelling underground fires, which behave differently to fires on the surface. Because of this you can't model the surface fire in Ventsim. 

In terms of the underground environment, what you can model are the effects of the fire on the mine, which would be the intake of smoke and any effect on the underground environment from the loss of whatever is burning, or from an emergency response.

For the intake of smoke, you can place a contaminant source on the intake and run a Contaminant Simulation. You can't model how much smoke would actually come in, as this depends on all sorts of conditions outside of the mine which Ventsim can't model. For example, the wind could be blowing such that no smoke at all enters the mine. But the Contaminant Simulation will indicate to you what parts of the mine will be contaminated by any smoke entering, as well as how long the smoke will take to reach each part of the mine. 

Any secondary effects of the fire - such as the fire somehow causing a fan to fail, or a regulator changing as part of the emergency response - can be added as part of a dynamic event as part of a MultiSim. Let us know if you want to program such events as part of Dynamic Contaminant Simulation. 

• 6 months later...