Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Simulated VRT?

Fred_K

Hello!

In VentSim, the simulated VRT appears to be calculated from this line function: Geotheromal Gradient * Surface Datum of Mine Grid + Surface Datum RockTemp

It is this simulated VRT that is used in other calculations, correct?

I have a geothermal gradient, from temperatures that can be considered VRT, obtained from borehole data (several boreholes, different locations). However, the simulated VRT for a target level does not match the measured temperatures at all. To match my temperatures, Surface Datum RockTemp or Geothermal Gradient would need to be a lot higher.

Since it is theoretical and not calculated from other values, I would think that I can simply change the Surface Datum RockTemp to match my temperatures? Or would this affect other calculations beyond those making use of the simulated VRT?

By the way, the manuals from the Howden website do not have page numbers beyond the table of contents. Makes things just a little harder to find quickly 😉 

Thanks!

Frédéric

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Ivan, 

This warning indicates that the airways associated with the warning have a Date Mined setting which is further into the future than the year specified in Settings | Simulation | Environment | Current Year.

image.png.d5585eca2a5cd9a566e840578b442f8c.png

If you set a Date Mined value on your airway, then each Heat Simulation, Ventsim will calculate the age of the airway based on the difference between the Current Year setting and the Date Mined value. If the Current Year is earlier than the Date Mined, this age is negative and Ventsim throws the warning. 

So the fix is to make sure the Current Year setting is correct and the Date Mined setting on the airway is correct. You can find the Date Mined property on the Heat Tab of the Airway Edit Box.

Hope this helps.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, Fred_K said:

I have a small follow-up question here.

When I run my simulations, why does Ventsim auto-adjust the surface datum of my mine grid?

Hi Fred, 

Apologies I appear to have missed this question from you. 

If you set your surface datum mine grid to zero, it will auto-adjust. It could also be that there is a large distance between the top of your mine and the entered surface datum. Whatever the case if it's not making sense, please send us the model or some screenshots at the Ventsim support email and we will work out what is happening.