Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Radon simulation - Po-218, Pb-214 and Bi-214 Radionuclides

Stalin

Hi,

The Ventsim radon simulation follows the radon calculation from Mc Pherson which doesnt consider the type amount of progeny.

However it should be possible, calculating the decay from Radon to Po218, etc based on their respective half life. Mc Pherson's book indicate it would be possible but doesnt state the exact equations. 

What would be the use for it?

I believe it would be interesting to discern the contributions of radionuclides to WL. Since WL is the sum WL = (WL) RaA + (WL) RaB + (WL) RaC.

Those are the radon progeny. The definition of the Working Level (WL) is the potential alpha energy contained in the radon progeny. So, you need to know the progeny concentrations to be able to calculate WL.

In radiological / radioprotection terms it is also interesting to know the distribution of radionuclides (solid elements) inside the underground mine.

For understanding, I suggest you read the paper (Engineers' guide to the elementary behavior of radon daughters by Robley D. Evans).

I can send the article to your email, if you want it.