Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Use of CPU Cores

Shane Ambrosio

HI Shane,

At the moment we are using multiple cores for loading models and running simulations. we haven't looked at the filter function to optimise yet.

We spent most of our effort on the simulation area, can I ask how long is the filter function is taking you to run?
If there are areas that are slow let us know and well look at either speeding them up, or adding parallel processing...

Regards

John,

It took about 15 - 20 minutes. Then again I am talking about some 98 000 airways which I was trying drape over a complex shape (as per the attached). Before you express shock at the number of airways, it is a coal mine LOM study, hence this many airways. I am just busy with basic construction.

• FYI: The attached image represents a CAD file with exaggerated mining heights. I use this method to pick the appropriate airways (when viewed form the side) and then correctly select and allocate the correct airway height.

In any event, once I had that all done and airways set to the correct levels. I then used the filter tools to "Run Binding" and "Run Duplicate Search". This took so long that I eventually forced a process shutdown.

I then reran this process on 20% pieces of the mining operation. This went very well although inconvenient as I had to do a cut and paste job to get it all done.

I previously have had discussions with Craig (and I think yourself) regarding core usage and appreciate that it virtually impossible to use all CPU cores. But I have marked a definite increase in performance in the latest version 5 (which seems to only get better and better).

• For example when doing a heat sim, I find that about 5-6 cores are being used which really makes the process run quite quickly (depending on complexity).
  • I also find that when working in multiple instances of Ventsim, core utilization is very good. For example,  I have also gotten 4 models to conduct fire simulations simultaneously while recording video of each (and other than heat issues on the CPU) this ran really well (model size 50 000, bord and pillar platinum operation).

So I think if there is anyway you could get the Filter tools to run say 5 cores this would speed thing up significantly.

I am no expert in coding but was wondering if there is a way we could have an advanced setting section in the "Settings" menu under "System Settings" that can allow the users to allocate the minimum and maximum number of cores for use in Ventsim. Some kind of reasonable percentage margin would need to be allocated to Windows itself and would be need to be PC specific. Obviously cores used would need to be spilt between Ventsim instances being run.

As always all efforts you guys make to improve this amazing product are highly appreciated.

Regards

Seam Heights Exaggerated.jpg

Wow, sounds like you are giving VentSim a solid workout.

We can work on making the filtering faster by improving efficiency and possibly using multiple processor. Could you send us the model so we can analyse which part of the code is the bottle neck?

About setting the number of cores, we thought/are thinking about it. Currently we "ask" windows how many cores are available and uses this number. Microsoft recommend this approach and not to to input the amount ourself. Nevertheless we are still thinking about it.

Regards,

Florian

• 2 weeks later...

Archived