Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Very Slow VRT Calculating

Shane Ambrosio

Hi…

I would just like to bring to your attention a problem that I have picked up. I have recently attempted to use the “Calculate VRT” tool – Please refer to the attached model. As you can see I have a relatively complex overlying strata over a large number of airways (±70 000). These represent future planning of a bord and pillar mine. Due to the shape of the strata it is very important to get this process right (as opposed to a relatively flat surface).

While I haven’t specific timed this process, I can tell you it takes in excess of 2 hours to perform this function.

To be clear though, I should mention I have a high end i9 Processor (18 core / 36 thread) with 88GB of RAM (so the PC is capable).

The attached screenshot shows how the PC performed. As you can only one thread is used and it is running at full capacity.

While I accept that this is a big task to perform, I really think the time to perform this task is excessive.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed of this process? Something like multi-threading or improved process?

Performance.JPG

Future Airways - Demo.vsm

Hi Shane, 

We made some improvement here to this calculation: https://ventsim.com/download/minor-releases/

It now uses 75% of the available processors on the computer. Let us know how you go. 

Other than that, you could possibly try to simplify the surface topography a little, as it's probably more detailed than it needs to be for the Calculate VRT function.