Ventilation & Flow Simulation Forums

Ventsim Flight path usage

Andre Broodryk

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to properly use the flight path feature in Ventsim?

It's a bit difficult to manage and unable to set the center point of rotation, which makes it fly off into the distance.

I'm trying to record some sort of slow fly-through to show the system but just end up looking like a minecraft noob..

There isn't really a guide, but it kind of takes a bit of practice.

A few tips:

• Go slow, if it is too slow you can always speed it up when editing.
  • You can record the flight path to be used later.
  • Turn on the little cross showing the middle of the screen, it help keep thing steady. If the mouse is on top of the cross the flight will go straight. (Settings | Settings | Rendering | Point Of Focus Cursor)
  • The start of the flight is usually a bit messy so I would recommend cutting it off during edition.

Another useful function is the continuous rotation (not in flight mode). Centre the screen normally then keep Ctrl down and rotate. It will keep rotating around the centre of the screen at the speed and direction of the initial rotation until escape or a new rotation starts. It can be good to go around the model.

André...

I little trick I learned that might make for a great user / client experience if you want to do something fancy in flight mode to show off your model.

1. Using the export tool, export only the Airway Solids option (refer to 1st attachment)
  2. 1819831668_1stAttachment.JPG.219be3c2edf8b8c365fe18f6094ff4aa.JPG
  3. In what ever CAD tool you are using(I can recommend a free one that is pretty good if you are interested) delete all faces that would normally not be there (i.e. at the beginning or middle of an open tunnel / airway) like the pieces I have highlighted in the 2nd attachment. Save the CAD File
  4. 903621088_2ndAttachment.JPG.7a1bf3cd07c2cfd7b2ac5e1f676ae5e0.JPG
  5. Once done, open your model and toggle the "Solids or Wireframe" icon to wireframe. You should view something like the 3rd attachment.
  6. 1585903139_3rdAttachment.JPG.88dc27654022be8ddc43a819852a910a.JPG
  7. The 4th attachment is the same thing but with the "Solids" shown but with the Graphics scale turned to the lowest value (to be used as an alternative)
  8. 534741041_4thAttachment.JPG.e4bf4861a69855ad70d153781fb2f317.JPG
  9. Then import the previously modified CAD file and set it transparency to about 90%. Refer to 5th attachment.
  10. 977051316_5thAttachment.JPG.26c4b99b6efacfdc5ceca77834899888.JPG

You can now using flight mode actually fly "into" the model and see the path ventilation follows.

With a bit of patience you can make mind blowing videos.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Archived